The Ninjabot

Categorized | Movies, News

Roberto Orci Comments on Stepping Down as Director of STAR TREK 3

Posted on December 9, 2014 at 3:01 pm by David "Snackbar" Edmundson

star-trek-3-roberto-orci-slice

Last week, we learned that Roberto Orci was stepping down as the director of Star Trek 3, and I greeted this news with cautious optimism.  On the one hand, it seems like Paramount came to its senses in not letting a guy who hadn’t even directed a YouTube short film to take the reins of a major blockbuster, although previous reports say that the script was the big problem, not his glaring lack of experience.  However, it’s not like he was kicked off the lot or even off the project.

Orci confirmed his continuted involvement on the website Trek Movie, and also commented on the rumors regarding the script and the current status of the film.  Star Trek 3 is currently scheduled to open in summer 2016.

star-trek-movieIn the comments section on Trek Movie, Orci told fans, “I will be very involved:)”, and never has a smiley emoticon been so threatening.  Orci reassured fans that the movie will still be out on time, and that they’re currently searching for a director, although he didn’t confirm if Edgar Wright was on the studio’s shortlist.

And as for the rumor that the script, which will now be scrapped, involved time travel, Orci says “no time travel was ever considered, fyi”, and I suppose that’s fine.  I would honestly settle for a script that made sense, didn’t parasitically latch on to a more popular film, and wasn’t a Truther movie.

Follow Snackbar on Twitter @snackie_cakes for all your Geek News

    Sharing the Legacy on Flickr

    See all photos

    Tweets